How I saved money on international travel in 2013

Simple, Airbnb!

Airbnb is a platform provided for individuals to rent unoccupied space for a short while. It's secure, safe and cheap. And for a student like me, with minimal funds to live on and even smaller funds to travel with, it's a god-send and an answer to my prayers.

My very first Airbnb in Cancun, Mexico.
I had a room and  private bathroom to myself. Roomy and sunny, the house is traditional and warm, just like its hosts. Having travelled around the world, my host were very knowledgeable and adventurous. I learned so much, not just about the vicinity I was staying in, but about Mexico and several other places around the world. They suggested a restaurant on my second day and I had amazing Mexican food there. I saw and chatted with locals in the park few blocks from the house.

Airbnb in Merida, Mexico.
Merida is old-new, modern, eclectic and charming in an appealing sorta way. And the place I stayed in reflected that quite well. Very different from my Cancun airbnb, but no less, spacious and neat. It is located just about 3 blocks from cathedrals, museums and restaurants. During the day, the bustle is subdued and quite, but at nights, the streets come alive. Street shoppers, street hawkers, street carnivals, street restaurants....the streets become an embodiment of entertainment in Merida. There was no shortage of things to do and because of the airbnb home I stayed in, I was right in the middle of it all.

Airbnb in Montego Bay, Jamaica.

Let's call this airbnb home the resting point after a day of eating, dancing, swimming, clubbing and window shopping down the valley in Montego bay. I came here with my school friends and we had fun through out. Our hosts were very liberal and we had a lovely time with them every morning sipping that awesome Blue Mountain Jamaican coffee and talking. Because the house is situated on a hill, we took walks every morning, just to watch the sun rise above the city below. We walked and talked with locals each morning and by the time we were leaving, most of the locals, having recognized us by now were waving good bye.

 If I had chosen to stay in a hotel in Jamaica, not only would my pocket book suffer for it, I would miss out on this lovely view, as all the hotels were down below.

Airbnb in Kingston, Jamaica.

I didn't take good pictures of the place we stayed in Kingston, because we barely stayed in it. We were out quite honestly 70% of the time, and slept the remaining 30%. But the Kingston airbnb was the biggest one of all. Located in an almost estate-like neighborhood. 

 Aside from being so much cheaper than the typical hotel, I think Airbnb provides a culturally immersive experience for travelers. I learned so much from my hosts, and the locals. And just getting to know more about the offbeat locations is also very fulfilling.

I plan to use Airbnb more in the future.


Popular posts from this blog

Magodo Estate in Nigeria (Nigeria Houses)

The Beginning of Something New: Niagara Falls in Buffalo, New York.

Porto Novo, Republic of Benin